Cracked teeth can be painful, unattractive, and pricey to repair. They can also be an emergency requiring immediate dental care. This post from the Center for Dental Anesthesia dental contains an easy-to-follow list of tips to keep your teeth whole and strong.
1. Don’t chew on hard substances. Mind-blowing, right? People should steer clear of ice, hard candies, hard nuts, popcorn, and beef jerky. Watch out for stone fruits—that peach may be soft but if you bite hard into the stone, you could damage a tooth.
2. It is vital to protect your teeth while engaging in any physical activity where your mouth can be hit. If you enjoy pick-up basketball games, indoor soccer leagues, rec center flag football, and many other activities, you should wear a well-fitting mouth protector.
3. Don’t use your teeth as a tool. Locate a pair of scissors to open a package or rip the price tag off a new piece of clothing with your teeth. Use a nutcracker for nuts. A quality dental crown can cost hundreds of dollars.
4. Most people know that grinding your teeth is dangerous, but did you know that it can lead to a cracked tooth? If you know or suspect that you are a tooth grinder, speak with your dentist so you can address the problem with stress reduction techniques and/or a mouth guard. Having headaches or jaw pain frequently can be a symptom of teeth grinding.
5. Lastly, make sure that you visit us for regular check-ups and cleanings. We can alert you to conditions that might predispose you to cracked teeth, such as having an uneven chewing surface or brittle teeth. We may also discover tiny cracks you aren’t aware of, and repair them before more damage ensues.
If you already have a cracked tooth, never fear! Treatment is available for cracks small and large. The Center for Dental Anesthesia in Alexandria provides cosmetic dentistry that restores smiles. We also provide emergency dental care. Keep our number handy, and make an appointment with us today.
Contact Center for Dental Anesthesia:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):